ARM4ALL contest design specifications
The goal of this design contest is to provide LN4 Foundation with the design (improve upon) of an above AND below elbow device for the existing LN4 prosthetic hand. In order to participate in this design contest, your design should integrate the specifications below (no submission will be accepted and judged if it is not the case).
Let’s start by showing you what the complete prosthesis currently is:
Your mission, if you accept it, is to show your creativity and your 3D designer skills by submitting either:
- A ‘simple’ above and below elbow device in the same spirit that the one above (using hook and loop strapping). In this case, a plastic cuff is used featuring 5 slots allowing strapping in order to fix the device to the body.
- A below and above elbow device integrating a fixation system different from the one shown above.
Whatever your choice will be, you absolutely have to take into account the following points:
- The below or above elbow device will need to be able to attach to the below aluminum plate of the existing hand with male 1/2″ x 20 threads.
- Looks “Realistic” and aesthetically pleasing
- Easy to put on and adjust
- For those of you who will choose to design a ‘simple’ below and above elbow device, the portion that contacts the skin will need to be malleable (adaptable to different residual limbs as well as different lengths of residual limbs). The cuff is currently the four-pronged plastic element with slots on each prong. It fits over the residual limb and straps onto the arm or across the shoulders depending on the recipients length of residual limb.
- No rough edges that could potentially “catch” on other objects
- All device parts (including the cuff) avoid poking or rubbing on body parts
- Minimal to no noise level – no harsh sounds or loud noises while fitting the device or during regular use
- Easy to clean
- Non-toxic parts and environmentally-conscious or “Green” materials
- No odor